Big Tech just can’t catch a break. After a dismal earnings season, in which Apple was one of the only bright sparks, the tech giant offered up its own bad news Sunday.
Apple said Covid restrictions in China are slowing shipments of its iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max models, with its main assembly site in Zhengzhou operating at “significantly reduced capacity.”
To say it’s poorly timed is an understatement. The busy holiday season is around the corner and the iPhone 14 is the company’s flagship product range. Apple warned customers will now experience longer wait times. Wedbush analyst Dan Ives described it as “an absolute gut punch” for the company, which could impact roughly 3% of sales.
The China-related problems are unlikely to ease quickly after Chinese officials quashed rumors of an end to the country’s zero Covid policy at a press conference Saturday.
Apple felt the need to insist that demand remains strong for its Pro models. It didn’t mention its cheaper iPhone 14 and Plus models. Demand for its standard and mid-range models has been underwhelming, leading to a number of reported production cuts since its September launch.
Ultimately, China will ease its zero Covid policy. But a sustained weakening in consumer demand, spreading across the tech sector, is a much bigger problem facing both Apple and the industry.
*** Join Barron’s senior managing editor Lauren R. Rublin, deputy editor Ben Levisohn, and David Kelly, chief global strategist of J.P. Morgan Asset Management, today at noon when they discuss the outlook for financial markets, industry sectors, and individual stocks.Sign up here.
Meta Expected to Announce Large-Scale Layoffs This Week
Facebook-parent Meta is planning large-scale layoffs this week, according to reports, becoming the latest big tech company to cut jobs amid a global economic slowdown and a sharp stock slump. Meta shares rose in premarket trading.
- The layoffs will affect thousands of workers, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing unidentified people familiar with the matter. The company employed 87,000 at the end of September.
- The job cuts would be the first wide-scale headcount reduction in the firm’s 18-year history. The stock is down more than 70% this year.
- When approached for comment, Meta referred to Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg’s recent remarks that “We’re going to focus our investments on a small number of high priority growth areas. So that means some teams will grow meaningfully, but most other teams will stay flat or shrink over the next year. In aggregate, we expect to end 2023 as either roughly the same size, or even a slightly smaller organization than we are today.”
- Meta went on a hiring spree during the pandemic, adding 27,000 staff in 2020 and 2021 combined and another 15,000 in the first nine months of this year. It has also invested heavily in the metaverse, a virtual reality platform–a decision some investors have criticized. Altimeter Capital last month urged Meta to cut staff by 20%.
What’s Next: The sector could shrink further. Meta follows a raft of other tech companies in scaling back in a year when stock market valuations have plummeted. Twitter’s new owner Elon Musk is reportedly cutting up to half the employees at that company. Microsoft has also announced job cuts.
China Investors Unfazed by Exports Drop and Zero-Covid Strategy
Chinese stocks rose on Monday despite economic data showing China’s exports shrank unexpectedly, and renewed commitments from Chinese health officials that they will stick to the country’s zero-tolerance approach to Covid.
- Chinese exports fell 0.3% in October compared with a year earlier, the worst performance since May 2020, and disappointing expectations of a 4% increase.
- Chinese health officials over the weekend said that China would stick to its zero-Covid strategy as the country reported its highest number of new infections in six months. But the Hang Seng index in Hong Kong climbed 2.7% on Monday, with investors seemingly still betting on a relaxation of restrictions.
- Apple warned shipments of its high-end iPhone models would be affected by Covid -19 restrictions at supplier Foxconn’s assembly site in Zhengzhou, China.
What’s Next: Negotiations are underway for a potential meeting between Xi Jinping and Joe Biden at the G-20 summit in mid-November, with the hope of improving U.S.-China relations, which could benefit the global economy. U.S. midterm election results could complicate the picture if Republicans make gains and press for a harder line on China, especially in access to advanced technology.
Disney Seen Widening Its Streaming Lead Over Netflix
Walt Disney is expected to extend its lead in the streaming wars, with analysts forecasting it to add 10 million net new subscribers in the September quarter when it reports on Tuesday. That would put even more distance between it and Netflix , which added 2.4 million subscribers in the third quarter.
- The Mouse House’s streaming platforms include Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+. Both Disney and Netflix are rolling out advertising-supported tiers in the current quarter—Disney plans to launch theirs in the U.S. on Dec. 8 after Netflix started its $6.99 a month U.S. tier on Nov. 3.
- Disney’s ad tier is expected to add $1 billion in incremental revenue in its first 12 months after rolling out in both the U.S. and overseas, MarketWatch reported, citing UBS analyst John Hodulik. Macquarie Research analyst Tim Nollen is forecasting $800 million in sales.
- CEO Bob Chapek is positioning video-streaming as a financial catalyst, with the direct to consumer model helping to jump start sales for theme parks, merchandise, traditional movies and TV, hotels and cruises. Disney is testing selling themed merchandise tied to Disney+ shows.
What’s Next: Disney is expected to report adjusted earnings of 55 cents a share, according to FactSet, on revenue of $21.3 billion. The revenue estimate is 15% higher than sales the same quarter last year.
A Final Push to Woo Voters Before Tuesday’s Midterm Election
Politicians crisscrossed the country over the weekend, delivering their final sales pitches ahead of Tuesday’s midterm election. An NBC News poll on Sunday showed that Democrats have pulled even with Republicans in enthusiasm, though overall voters are still not satisfied with the economy.
- Of likely voters, 48% said they preferred a Democratic-controlled Congress, and 47% said they prefer one led by Republicans. NBC’s October poll said the opposite. In addition, 73% of both Democrats and Republicans said they had a high interest in Tuesday’s voting. The split was 69% to 78% in October.
- People told NBC’s pollsters the most pressing issue facing the country was “threats to democracy” (23%), while jobs and the economy was second (20%) and cost of living was third (17%). Already 40.1 million votes have been cast, according to the U.S. Elections Project.
- President Joe Biden was campaigning in suburban New York Sunday, while former President Donald Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, both possible rivals for the 2024 nomination, held separate rallies in the Sunshine State. At stake is control of the House and Senate.
- Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D., N.Y.), the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chair, told NBC’s Meet the Press he wouldn’t “play hypotheticals” over Tuesday’s outcome. Sen. Rick Scott (R., Fla.), the National Republican Senatorial Committee chair, told NBC candidates will accept the results if they are “free and fair.”
What’s Next: The fourth quarter and the next two quarters following a midterm election have historically been the stock market’s strongest stretch in a four-year presidential election cycle, returning average S&P 500 gains of 6.6%, 7.4% and 4.8%, respectively, Bloomberg reported, citing Carson Investment Research.
Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Tops Expectations
Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway reported third-quarter operating profit rose 20%, to $7.8 billion after taxes, topping expectations. Higher short-term interest rates on its $109 billion of cash and equivalents boosted results, while a $10.1 billion unrealized loss on its portfolio of stocks led to a net loss.
- Berkshire generated the outsize profit gain despite suffering $3.4 billion of losses before taxes—and $2.7 billion after taxes—from Hurricane Ian. The company is a major property and casualty insurer and owns Geico, the No. 2 auto insurance company in the U.S. behind State Farm.
- Despite the insurance underwriting losses, Berkshire’s utilities and energy unit saw gains from its natural-gas-pipeline business and electrical distribution company, Northern Powergrid. Elevated energy prices have lifted profits at oil, gas and utility companies this year.
- Berkshire was affected by spiking inflation and prolonged supply chain disruptions. Freight railroad operator BNSF Railway charged customers more per railroad car loaded, but paid higher fuel costs and saw lower overall freight volumes, dragging after-tax earnings down 6.2%, The Wall Street Journal reported.
- The company spent $1.05 billion on share repurchases in the third quarter. Berkshire also bought about six million shares of Chevron and became Occidental Petroleum ’s single largest shareholder, propelling its shares to more than double in 2022.
What’s Next: Berkshire said it expects demand for its home-related businesses and services, including Benjamin Moore paints, Shaw Industries flooring, and Acme Building Brands bricks and masonry, to wane amid soaring mortgage rates and declining home prices, the Journal reported.
Small Business Financial Accounting Software and its Benefits
Definition of a Small Business:
Small business is termed as a privately owned organization, partnership, or sole proprietorship with a lesser number of employees and lesser resources as well as lesser annual revenue than a regular-sized business.
What is a Small Business?
While small businesses generally can implement the same quality management systems that are used in larger corporations, still they may face different challenges. Small businesses tend to have fewer human resources and less up-front capital to be dedicated to quality initiatives. As compared to a large enterprise, upper management commitment can be stronger in a smaller business and the communications within the company are more direct and straightforward.
Every small business owner requires to manage their accounts perfectly. Owning and utilizing the right accounting software simplifies this purpose or task.
Top 20 Financial Accounting Software Benefits:
Many Small Business Financial Accounting Software features may prove beneficial to you:
- Easy to customize invoices
- Sending of payment reminders to clients through the software application
- Enables the clients to pay through the credit cards
- Regular and loyal clients are dealt with differently
- Expense tracking with receipt attachments.
- Ability to sort out your transactions concerning which tax is implied on them
- Easily manage your expenses according to their tax deductions
- Generate detailed reports about your business and its finances
- Collaboration is super easy
- Business compliance features
- Cloud-based software
- Global accessibility feature
- Data encryption feature
- The software can be accessed on multiple devices
- Comprehensive billing and invoicing feature
- Offers all the features that a small business needs for managing its accounts
- Inventory tracking features
- Allows you to access the professionally written documentation of the software
- Client portal makes communication with clients easy
- Generates bills and keeps track of what you owe
The Small Business Financial Accounting Software depends on the type of business you are starting up or managing. The most important deciding factor is the available budget in the small business. Based on the availability of a reasonable budget you can purchase good software that reduces the cost of the human workforce. Dealing with a small business requires you to think more smartly and intelligently as the business decision making in such small-sized businesses is extremely critical and crucial.
If you are working on a very tight budget then you might be looking for free options to allow you to get equipped with the financial accounting software. Such software is desperately needed to manage your books correctly.
Cloud-based Financial Accounting Software:
The bookkeeping is all maintained and managed on the internet cloud along with the data encryption which determines the accurate protection and security of data. Now you can access your business information from any part of the world and control your small business efficiently. It also helps you in critical decision making which is extremely cautious for your business.
Moreover, the financial accounting software for small businesses is available in multiple languages so that more customers can come and avail the services of the software. It allows the diverse types of customers coming from different regional zones and areas.
Should you hire any Expert Accountant?
Managing your accounts makes clear sense when your business is small and easy to manage as compared to a large business. It helps you know the exact cash flow into your business which keeps you informed about your business fortunes. At any time and at any moment you can check your financial health situation and make decisions to improve the cash flow.
However, as your business grows it becomes inevitable that you may need an accountant as well. Legal and financial penalties can occur in case of poor bookkeeping.
Having the right accounting software will make a tremendous change and a huge difference to any small business. As your business grows your business needs require scalability and flexibility.
Does Accounting Software Handle Payroll?
Most of the accounting software options on the market today are allowed to integrate with the payroll systems. This feature ensures a high degree of compatibility between the two even if the developer companies are different. Both modules work together to allow maximum business efficiency and profitability.
What is the Conclusive Perspective?
In the market, there is much software available for your services and benefits for the small business but SMACC holds a significant place among all the software. You can not deny its savage importance and role while stepping ahead in your business performance with dignity and confidence. It is a cloud-based software that helps you improve your cash flow rate and directs your small business on the path of continuous growth and prosperity.
How Can Content Marketing Help Young Parents Get the Childcare They Need?
Childcare is a nightmare for young parents. Not only are they not surrounded by the type of community as a generation ago, but they’re struggling to get by. In the absence of such a support system, young parents will need all the help they can get. There are services out there that can help them with childcare. Content marketing can help lead them to the best ones.
Blogging for Young Parents
Blogging for advertising childcare services is a very effective strategy. Young parents, or parents of this generation, have a habit of reaching for Google when they have a question. Hence, blogs and websites that hold the answers can be valuable to them.
The entire premise of content marketing for childcare stems from this. When parents find a blog or a website that they can trust, it automatically puts them into a position to subscribe to it. This is why childcare businesses need to employ content marketing. They can get to a lot more people this way.
Blogs can help young parents find the information they need, as well as peace of mind. Sharing stories of fellow parents that are struggling, and interviews with happy families can help them get through parenting. Content marketing through blogs and using tools like video, images, and personal stories can be very effective.
Creating Content Partnerships
One great way to advertise childcare services is to create digital content partnerships with publications. You can publish on guest blogs or magazines to increase your credibility. This not only gets your attention but improves your authority on a certain subject. This can drive more sales towards you and even popularize you in the public eye as a trustworthy source.
Focus on Creating Valuable Content
As mentioned above, young parents in today’s world are bereft of the kind of support structure once present in societies. With more and more people moving away from home and living in apartments, families are becoming scarce. With people living in single apartments and drifting away from neighborhoods, it’s easier to be alone than ever before. This support structure breakdown leaves young parents on their own most of the time. Unless their parents or their relatives can come over and help them, they’re usually in a mess.
Think about it this way. This generation is so prevalent on their devices that they immediately Google something when they face a problem. It’s a reflex now more than a response. It’s something that we just deem automatic when we face a problem or have a question.
In this regard, valuable content can help young parents deal with their new responsibilities. For instance, blogs about how to feed children or how to help them sleep can help. Blogs about the most common illnesses or ailments that children have can also help them deal with tricky situations. Old remedies and tricks that still work that are passed down over generations can also help young parents raise children.
Valuable blogs can also offer young parents that are loyal readers some discounts for childcare services. They can be given special offers or invited to workshops where they can learn to be better parents.
Create Individual Landing Pages
Landing pages are great tools that can help get web traffic for businesses. However, they’re also great tools for customers to find exactly what they’re looking for. For instance, parents that live in Trenton would usually look for childcare centers in Trenton. Hence a landing page with keywords or key phrases like that or resembling that will track well for those searches. This can work for different countries, cities, regions, etc. Where ever young parents reside where they need childcare, landing pages can help them find what they need.
On the flip side, specific landing pages can also work for young parents that require specific types of childcare. Some childcare focuses more on sports and playing rather than education. Other childcare can focus more on the latter and less on the former. Hence, parents can choose which childcare to put their kids in depending on the information available. Specific landing pages that target parents that need these services will have a better chance of getting traffic.
Content marketing for childcare services can be a boon to young parents. It can be a window to many services they desperately need in the modern era. Well-written blogs with practical tips can help young parents in times of need by offering them several useful strategies on raising their children. Content marketing can also help parents gain from the wisdom of previous generations and current parents. By reading blogs written by middle-aged or senior parents, young parents may find some comfort and encouragement. All this makes content marketing a must-have strategy for childcare providers.
Real World Cases of Blockchain Entering Other Industries
Blockchain is a revolutionary technology that has begun to permeate into a range of other industries. From finance and medical healthcare to art and marketing, blockchain is disrupting and transforming whole fields as it continues to develop.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at real world cases of blockchain being used within marketing, PR, and advertising. We’ll be discussing:
- De Beers
- and the Blockchain PR and Marketing industry as a whole
Let’s jump right into it!
Back in 2017, Spotify announced that they were going to begin to incorporate blockchain into their daily system of operations. Their plan was to use the decentralized database that blockchain runs on to give a more transparent picture to artists about who owns and earns on certain tracks.
They were about to do this as one of the main benefits of blockchain is how accessible it makes data. Instead of hiding data, every single blockchain transaction is completely transparent. By incorporating blockchain in this way, they have made it so you can see who is involved with a song on the platform. This extends from the singers and the songwriters all the way to the label that released the song.
This transparent form of data sharing allowed for artists, songwriters, and producers to always be fairly attributed with their own work. This eradicated the industry problem of people not getting total credit for their work and resulted in a much fairer system.
Matchpool is an application that uses blockchain currency trading to incentivize their users to participate in certain communities. For example, by using the Matchpool dating app, you’ll be able to receive Guppy Tokens. These can then be redeemed in the application, or purchased and traded or exchanged.
This payment for usage feature works as blockchain can more accurately record transactions. The unalterable style of blockchain ensures that everyone who spends X amount of time on the app is awarded the correlating amount of digital currency.
Alongside this, the incentivization this company uses makes sure that people flock to their products, loading up their networks and ensuring they run smoothly.
Having absolutely nothing to do with beer, this application is the very first platform that uses blockchain to track the history of a diamond. Within this application (named Tracr), you’ll be able to see an incredible wealth of data on a diamond – from where it was mined, to who cut and polished it, all the way to who currently owns it or at which jeweler it is located.
The transparency of blockchain ensures that this app gives accurate information on their diamonds. As records within blockchain systems are tamper-proof, each of the records is certified as authentic. This form of data sharing then allows people interested in buying diamonds the certainty that they are buying a real diamond and from a reputable source.
Once again, blockchain’s transparency has led to strides in this app’s development.
The Rise of the Blockchain Marketing and PR Industry
The rise of blockchain has led to a new form of PR and marketing to spring up – one that is wholly devoted to the social development of this particular industry.
Considering the history of blockchain scams, many social platforms did not allow blockchain to advertise on their platforms. Due to this, blockchain PR and blockchain marketing firms had to take to other social platforms.
This led to the redevelopment of the industry, these new platforms needing distinct techniques and PR strategies. One blockchain marketing and PR firm, GuerillaBuzz, composed the following graphic to show the top blockchain PR social sites:
As you can see, whereas normal PR would expect to see sites like Facebook and Twitter, they are nowhere to be found in this industry.
The development of blockchain has led to the upsurge of new industry developments.
Even though it is still only in its early days, blockchain is one of the most impactful changes that is beginning to permeate into a range of industries. No matter which industry you work in, its likely that blockchain will begin to take effect – if it hasn’t already!
Tech4 weeks ago
Apple introduces iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus
Tech4 months ago
How To Create Free Business Logos Using Adobe Spark
Tech4 weeks ago
How Enterprise Software Teams Are Unlocking The Value Of No-Code Tools
Tech4 weeks ago
Apple to put USB-C connectors in iPhones to comply with EU rules
Tech4 weeks ago
3 Types of Technology Needed to Start and Run a Small Business
Tech4 weeks ago
Samsung could be working on a 600 megapixel sensor
Tech4 weeks ago
Differences between virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality
Tech4 weeks ago
What generation do you belong to?